Ask the Schoolar
Ask The Scholar
Question Details

Question: AsalaamOAlakum I married in 2014 but it was the civil marriage me and my husband I don't know should I call him husband or not! We did civil marriage in court wd out any wali after my marriage my life is miserable. but yesterday I find out that civil marriage is not halal in Islam wdout wali so I want to know about this plz help me.


If you did marry according to the laws of the land, there is no reason to consider it as null and void. I am assuming  that the person you married does not belong to the forbidden categories: someone who is outside the fold of Islam, or someone who is related to you in blood or milk relationship as indicated in the following verse:
Forbidden to you are your mothers, and your daughters, and your sisters, and your aunts paternal and maternal, and a brother's daughters, and a sister's daughters; and your milk-mothers, and your milk-sisters; and the mothers of your wives; and your step-daughters - who are your foster children - born of your wives with whom you have consummated your marriage; but if you have not consummated your marriage, you will incur no sin [by marrying their daughters]; and [forbidden to you are] the spouses of the sons who have sprung from your loins; and [you are forbidden] to have two sisters [as your wives] at one and the same time - but what is past is past:  for, behold, God is indeed much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.” (Qur’an: 4: 23).
The insistence of the presence of guardian and witnesses are primarily intended to preserve the following considerations:
1.  To ensure that ensure compatibility of spouses
2.  To make it public to guard against secret liaisons 
Since there is no such issue in your marriage which fulfilled all of the requirement of a valid legal marriage we cannot consider it as null and void.
The fact you have issues in your marriage has nothing to do with the validity of the marriage for it can happen in any marriage. 
You should see a marriage counselor. If you cannot reconcile the differences, and you find it miserable to continue, then you should seek divorce by using the legal channels.
I pray to Allah to inspire us to do what is right and pleasing to Him.


Ask the Schoolar